Monday, October 29, 2007

hymn on the brain

“Hymn 109” by Isaac Watts (a.k.a. “I Boast No More” – Caedmon’s Call recently recorded this song) has been challenging me recently in many facets. As with so many classic hymns, it is very deep and personal – almost in contrast to the current Contemporary Christian genre. It seems Christian music fluctuates between solid lyrics and solid music, but it’s rare that there’s a good combination. But, I regress. Here’s the poem and then I’ll share some thoughts on it.

HYMN 109
The value of Christ, and his righteousness. Phil. 3:7-9.

No more, my God, I boast no more
Of all the duties I have done;
I quit the hopes I held before,
To trust the merits of thy Son.

Now, for the lost I bear his name,
What was my gain I count my loss;
My former pride I call my shame,
And nail my glory to his cross.

Yes, and I must and will esteem
All things but loss for Jesus' sake:
O may my soul be found in him,
And of his righteousness partake!

The best obedience of my hands
Dares not appear before thy throne;
But faith can answer thy demands
By pleading what my Lord has done.


How hard it is not to boast on the things I’ve done. Not that I have done anything great, but to me there are things that I want to lift up and make myself look great with. Isaac Watts pushes us to count all things but loss for Jesus’ sake. Why? Nothing we do will appear great in the presence of God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit and the grace they have shown us in our lives.

Yet, we are called to bear Christ’s name to the lost- glorifying Him, telling of what He has done in our lives. How often do I seek to please myself rather than looking to others? Too often. So, this past week and for the foreseeable future, I am praying that God will give me a passion for the lost and opportunities to bear His name.

I’d love to hear what songs and/or Scripture has been affecting you lately.

Lyrics from: http://www.ccel.org/ccel/watts/psalmshymns.I.109.html

4 comments:

Chris said...

Gosh ... you need to find Derek Webb's rendition of this one, I think it's from Caedmon's Call's first worship album. I had no idea it was a hymn until you posted this :)

Dan Underwood said...

got it and love it!

Brian and Melanie said...

Great hymn..."The best obedience of my hands,
Dares not appear before thy throne" Wow, that really cuts to the heart of it.

For me,
Psalm 51..after david's when confronted by Nathan about Bathsheeba.
He says, "Purge me with hyssop (used for spritual purification and medicine)
Then says, "Then I will teach transgressors your ways."

God has been showing me that purging, or getting out the junk comes, before "ministry." Otherwise ministry efforts come with my emotional baggage. I think i can serve best when I fully understand and internalize God's love.

R.S. said...

what a great blog, Dan. I enjoyed reading your posts.

Ryan

ESPN MLB Scoreboard