Monday, November 05, 2007

"I heard someone scream like a girl..."

First off, I must apologize to all of you, my readers, for not updating more frequently or giving important information, such as a new job. About a month ago, I started a new custodial position at First Alliance Church (whew! same job, I can keep the same blog id... of course, that brings up the problem with equating myself with my occupation... that's another blog post). I have enjoyed getting to know the staff at FAC and learn the ropes of the job.
On to the reason for this post...
On Friday, my fellow custodian at FAC, Josh, called me on my cell-phone asking that I bring him a projector light bulb as he was on the super-tall ladder and didn't want to come down. He told me where to find them and I agreed. So, I go into the back of the Library where there are a couple closets, find the right door, unlock the door, and flip on the lights. As I begin to search for the right shelf, I notice the darkness of this closet, due to the several heater/ac units located within. The correct shelf was on the backside of one of these heating units, and I began to scan the shelves for the right bulb. As I did so, I noticed movement in the shadows to my left. My first thought was: "rat," but then I realized that the shape was a little larger and moving toward me. Quickly, I went from curiosity to fear. Irrational thoughts began to go through my mind. Dog... Wild dog... Bear... During this brief instance, I also realized that this shape was standing up and moving towards me in a lopsided way. I began to step backward and scream - and then the "thing" stepped out from the shadows into the lights and I registered it as a gorilla. Even though I realized at this point that the gorilla was not a real live gorilla, but someone dressed up in a gorilla suit, my fight or flight response had been triggered and I didn't have control of my actions. My hand struck out in the best Jet Li imitation I've ever done, even in my wildest dreams, and connected with the "gorilla's" face. Quickly, the mask came off and Stevie (FAC Youth Minister) hugged me, laughing so hard he's almost crying, and holding his nose, begging me not to attack him. I quickly began laughing and realizing that the fright was over, however the effects of it were not. My heart was still racing and my legs shaky. Josh, obviously in on the gag, came in the door laughing and saying, "I heard someone scream like a girl." Stevie, still wincing and holding his nose, claimed that he never uttered a sound. I'm not sure I believe him, but my vindication came in his next words: "I think my nose is bleeding."
Shortly thereafter, Stevie made his way into the main office scaring the staff there and into the pastor's office with only the mask on and getting a good laugh. However, I can say that I got the worst end of this joke. I only wish a video of this had been made so that we could have won a lot of money for my troubles.

1 comment:

josh said...

i laughed so hard my eyes watered up. whew... THAT was funny. I can totally see you stumbling backwards thinking "wild dogs!"

my compliments to josh and gorilla boy.

ESPN MLB Scoreboard